TALKING STORY DEVELOPMENT WITH CHRIS TEBBETTS
In this episode, Katie interviews author Chris Tebbetts. Chris is the author and co-author of many books for young readers. Titles include the #1 New York Times bestselling MIDDLE SCHOOL series, as well as PUBLIC SCHOOL SUPERHERO, with James Patterson and illustrator Laura Park; the New York Times bestselling STRANDED series with Jeff Probst; the young adult novel M OR F? with Lisa Papademetriou; and THE VIKING series. He has lectured and led writing workshops for kids and adults at schools, libraries, and conferences around the country, including the Antioch Writers’ Workshop; the New England Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators; and the Adirondack Center for Writing, where he was also a 2014 Anne LaBastille Residency participant.
Today, Chris talks about writing, and what he offers is wonderful. Listen in as Chris answers these questions:
• How do you turn an idea into a story?
• Character vs. plot?
• What are the right questions to ask yourself?
• Do you have beats you’re trying to hit within the story?
• Do you know the end when you start writing?
• Pantser vs. plotter … what is the best way to develop your story?
• What tools can you use to maintain consistency throughout the story?
• More detail about why working for book packagers may be just the ticket to getting published as a beginner. (Download the show notes to see which ones Chris likes and/or has worked with.)