© 2023 Direct Learning Systems, Inc. All rights reserved. Crafted by FirstWire
TALKING STORY DEVELOPMENT WITH CHRIS TEBBETTS
In this episode, Katie interviews author Chris Tebbetts. Chris is the author and co-author of many books for young readers. Titles include the #1 New York Times bestselling MIDDLE SCHOOL series, as well as PUBLIC SCHOOL SUPERHERO, with James Patterson and illustrator Laura Park; the New York Times bestselling STRANDED series with Jeff Probst; the young adult novel M OR F? with Lisa Papademetriou; and THE VIKING series. He has lectured and led writing workshops for kids and adults at schools, libraries, and conferences around the country, including the Antioch Writers’ Workshop; the New England Society for Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators; and the Adirondack Center for Writing, where he was also a 2014 Anne LaBastille Residency participant.
Today, Chris talks about writing, and what he offers is wonderful. Listen in as Chris answers these questions:
• How do you turn an idea into a story?
• Character vs. plot?
• What are the right questions to ask yourself?
• Do you have beats you’re trying to hit within the story?
• Do you know the end when you start writing?
• Pantser vs. plotter … what is the best way to develop your story?
• What tools can you use to maintain consistency throughout the story?
• More detail about why working for book packagers may be just the ticket to getting published as a beginner. (Download the show notes to see which ones Chris likes and/or has worked with.)